Benito Juarez Park is located in one of the most beautiful places in San Miguel de Allende and has been dedicated to community recreation for a very long time.
In the 16th century the mosaic of colors and scents, coming from the different trees and flowers in the surrounding orchards, characterized the park and made it a favorite spot for Sunday strolls.
The park’s importance increased when it became the thoroughfare between the neighborhoods of Chorro, Guadiana, Ojo de Agua, Cañada de los Aguacates, and San Antonio. In the 18th century these areas included a multiethnic population of approximately 1,000 inhabitants dedicated to different trades: shoemakers, servants, furniture makers, bricklayers, weavers, spinners, brick makers, pageboys, coachmen, and orchard keepers, among many others.
The construction of the actual “Parque” as we now call it, goes all the way back to the first decade of the 20th century when of one of the town’s benefactors, Dr. Ignacio Hernandez Macias, Municipal President at the time, brought the townspeople together to acquire three hectares of old orchard land. The community then planted more than one thousand different species of plants and trees, cedars, lilies, and violets, to name a few.
Its architectural design embraces the elegance and European-style typical of the public walkways built in Mexico during the “Porfiriato” period. The park was inaugurated in 1904 by Joaquin Obregon Gonzalez, Governor of the State of Guanajuato, in the much-beloved kiosk, of which only the base remains. That kiosk became the stage for Sunday afternoon concerts and in 1916 the park took its current name in honor of Don Benito Juarez.
Over the decades Parque Juarez has served as the cultural center of San Miguel. Through various efforts of citizens and the government, the community has enjoyed one of the most lovely public recreational areas in all of Mexico.
Currently, Amigos del Parque San Miguel de Allende, AC continues the tradition of the stewardship of the park and works closely with various private donors, government organizations and community partners to continue its rich heritage and preserve the park for the future.